We arrived at our intended inlet earlier than expected and decided to bypass our planned anchorage and take advantage of the incoming tidal current to make significant bonus progress. Total mileage for the day... 55 nautical miles (typically we average about 40)!
While the weather was only supposed to turn Tuesday evening we resisted bumping out again and instead erred on the side of caution, motor sailing inland, making it almost to the Florida border. Ultimately the weather was great all day (even easier than Monday) and we totally could have gone out again but no regrets. We dropped anchor in a marsh creek at sunset, positioning ourselves for the impending north winds and letting out extra chain for the expected 40knots gusts.
Exactly as predicted around 19:00 the wind kicked up. While the marsh provided excellent wave and current protection it provided almost no wind protection. We rocked and rolled all night with the wind howling outside. This made our poor dog Dexter very nervous and he was up almost all night pacing around and breathing heavily. We kind of half slept and I got up & out a couple of times to make sure everything was OK. Stepping out into it was a blast of cold air to the face (they did say it was a Canadian cold front).The wind indicator showed 32knots. The chain was pulling hard but we were secure. I felt really bad for anybody actually out on the ocean in this.
By Wednesday morning the worst was over (or maybe it just seemed that way in the light of day) but winds remained very strong so we declared it a "gale day", like a snow day where you get to stay home from school or work. We slept in, Cassandra made pumpkin & spice scones in the oven (even while the boat rocked). The delicious aroma was great to wake up to (yes I had kept sleeping). We read, scrap booked, relaxed, listened to the radio. All in all a good day, even if we didn't make any progress south.
|Nice neighbourhood! The sailboat in the distance is on the ICW.|
|Mmmm... warm pumpkin scones... drool....|