Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Blow Hole

At Cape May we had come to a fork in the road: go up through the Delaware Canal and down through Chesapeake Bay (the inland but longer route) or continue down the coast (faster but potentially rough). As we are on a bit of a schedule to make Norfolk for a flight to a friend's wedding in Toronto this weekend and the weather forecast looks good we opted for the coastal route.

Very good day today from Cape May, to Ocean City Maryland. Nothing to report except.... we saw a WHALE! There we were sailing along, about 6 nautical miles away from land, seas were smooth, wind was gentle, all was right with the world. I was at the helm, just scanning the horizon, the sails, the instruments. I glanced over to the right and about 20 feet off our starboard side a WHALE's hump broke the surface, the blow hole took a breath and dove below again, trailing the truck of its massive tail. Startled. Probably the most I've ever been in my life. Scared the hell out of me but was exhilarating at the same time. I was worried it would hit the boat or get sliced by the propeller! I know they travel in pods so we were on the look out for others but that was it. Just a glimpse. Just a "Hey, how's it going? Welcome to the Ocean."

Unfortunately it all happened so fast we couldn't snap a photo but I'll have the negative in my head forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment